Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pine Cove 2015

Pine Cove is a Christian camp for kids.  They have several camps to choose from but the overnight youth camp in Tyler, Texas is our absolute favorite.  The first time I sent my oldest, Jordan, was when he was in second grade.  I was very hesitant and feared him being away from me with no way of contacting him for a week.  I didn't know what type of people would be there or the influences they may have or if they would feed him yucky food and not take care of him or love him just like me!  Jordan's best buddy, Jeffery and his mom persuaded me to let him go.  Angela, (Jeffery's mom) was going to be working at one of the camps as a nurse, so I felt better about allowing him to go, knowing she would be there.  It was the BEST thing I could have done for him that summer because he learned so much about the importance of God in your life on a daily basis.  So since that summer, I have sent the all the kids as often as I could.  This year because of other camps for the boys, London was the only one to go and the boys were pretty sad about that.




The packing alone for Pine Cove can be an adventure in itself.  All that you pack fits into a big trunk that we decorate.  The car gets decorated and when we arrive the kids hang out the window of the car and shoot silly string while the camp counselors are welcoming the campers with energy and chants.


This year they added an app that you could download and I absolutely loved it because I got to wake up every morning and see pictures of London.  She was in still pictures and video highlights each day, so I never felt that empty feeling like I sometimes do when they're away.


Now while she was gone, Jackson and Jayden stayed in Tyler with Nana and Grandaddy while I came home with Jordan so he could life guard during the week.  The house was so empty and quiet!  I treated myself to a massage and facial one of those days...so I can't complain too much!  As I said before, each night there is a theme.  This years themes were:


At Pine Cove, they have nick names that are given to the counselors and directors.  London's counselor was "Bear Necessities" this year.  She is a Baylor Bear and likes the movie Jungle Book and it's a necessity to know sign language (which she does), so that's how she got her name.  London had such wonderful things to say about her. The counselor and the campers spend every moment together so they form a really sweet bond.  London became close with a girl named Betty who is from Texas as well, so they exchanged numbers so they could stay in touch.  




While at camp, the kids learn Bible stories and are taught how to walk daily with Jesus and how to study the Bible.  After a week of being away from London, we went back to Tyler to pick her up and enjoyed meeting those she got close to and watching a highlight video of their week.  Bear Necessities wrote a little note about the characteristics she saw in London.


Life with my angels is always fun and full of excitement and moments I don't ever want to forget.  I've done my best to raise these children so to see a note like this makes my heart melt and so proud of my London.  Pine Cove is something I hope we can do until they can't go anymore and then (when they're 30) they can send their children!

Here's my YouTube video.  Please let me know what you think about it!





No comments:

Post a Comment